New WoW Announcements

You can discuss more than just generals, actually.
Paladin
New WoW Announcements

Post by Paladin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:50 am

Big WoW news out of BlizzCon yesterday:
  • New expansion with an increased level cap to 120 - "Battle for Azeroth"
    Vanilla WoW servers - play the game like it's 2005!
    Elimination of separate PvP and PvE servers - now all servers will feature opt-in PvP
    Worldwide scaling zones - like in Legion, all zones will scale within a range of levels (for example, the zones added with Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King will provide a full challenge for characters from 60-80)*
    New 3 player adventure islands - like mini dungeons, but the encounters and quests will randomly generate each time - and you compete against a 3 person team from the opposing side, either AI PvE or PvP
    New 20 player warfronts against AI - build units, lead troops, unlock tech trees - they're trying to replicate as much of the feel of the Warcraft strategy games in WoW with this
    New unlockable subraces for a number of existing races (dark iron dwarves, highmountain tauren, void elves - others to be announced later)
More details and the cinematic trailer can be found here: https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/3/16597 ... -expansion

* Scaling zones will be introduced in a patch prior to Battle of Azeroth
Creole Ned
Site Admin

Re: New WoW Announcements

Post by Creole Ned » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 pm

I'm really not sure how I feel about most of these things, though if the vanilla servers are truly vanilla, I think they'll see a surge of popularity up front then a massive drop-off a month or two later, because vanilla WoW was good, relatively speaking at the time, but it's pretty bad in most ways compared to the game now.

Adding more levels to the game while making scaling game-wide seems a bit counter-intuitive. I kind of wish they'd stop with the level increases. Still, it should at least help reduce that whole "outlevel half the content before you get through it (or even see it)" thing.
Paladin

Post by Paladin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:18 am

Yeah. There's a part of me that didn't like the level-scaling in Legion. By the time I hit max level in an expansion, I don't WANT everything I fight in every zone to be my equal. Granted, I did that with a glass-cannon mage too, so my hit points probably got ripped into more than most. I'm running through Northrend now with a Paladin and I'm already 2 levels above the limit for the expansion, but it's content I didn't see the first time through, so I'm accepting the crappy XP and slow level progression to do quests I missed before. At least with the scaling, I'd be able to go straight to Northrend at level 60 and have 20 levels in which to see everything.

The scaling does have upper and lower bounds. If you go to Goldshire as a level 40, you'll still rip it to pieces. The goal is to make content more relevant over a wider level range. In practical terms, you'll probably end up doing half as many zones as you level, but seeing more of them because you won't out level them.

As for the Vanilla servers, I think they really dumbed down the loot over the years, so I'd like to see the old system back for that. Ditto with Specialization and Talents, and requiring going to a trainer when you level up. I think those were important elements that made the game what it was. I don't know if I'd play on a vanilla server though, because of the level 60 cap and lack of expansion content. Maybe eventually they'll have servers that do both - old mechanics and new content.
Paladin

Post by Paladin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:08 pm

The new pre-expansion patch went live today. One of the new features it adds is cross-server groups. So, now it's possible to be part of the a group that exists regardless of which servers your characters are on, and you can play together - not just raids but anywhere. It is still split by faction, but that's pretty much the only restriction. Joining groups also doesn't interfere with your choice of guild, they are separate, so no worries if you've guilded up with someone else.

I don't know who, if any of you, still have active WoW subscriptions or are planning to come back for the next expansion, but send me a group invite when you do. I'll be playing more again once the expansion hits.

Also new today in the patch - the WoW subscription includes all expansions through Legion. So, if you got behind on the expansions, you no longer have to buy them separately. Sadly, they're still going to charge for the Battle for Azeroth expansion. Still, you can now play up to level 110 for just the cost of the monthly subscription.